I started work on editing the 1st proofs for one of the levels this week. It’s good to see the material as it will finally appear, give or take a few adjustments, particularly after looking at word documents with no images for the past 2 1/2 months. I actually feel like it’s going somewhere now.
I was surprised to see discrepancies between the final edits and the first proofs. I naively thought that the only alterations to be made would be those indicated by the Technical Committee (the body responsible for checking cultural appropriacy). I didn’t realise that there would be errors in transferring the material from word documents to the proofs. I was also astonished to see images blocking rubrics. During the past few months it has become very evident to me that the more eyes that look at the material the better, as no one person can see all the areas for improvement.
Obviously, even with the 1st proofs there are also final development edits, which were missed in the first instance, to be made. It’s impossible to catch everything first time round. I feel that it’s better caught now, though then after publication.